BA with TESL Emphasis
As part of the B.A. in linguistics, students can earn an emphasis in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL). This emphasis can prepare students to teach English to non-native speakers abroad. This emphasis is also excellent preparation for graduate work in second language acquisition.
To earn the TESL emphasis, students take the five required courses and the following (plus two electives, if the major with TESL emphasis was declared in Fall 2011 or after):
Both of these:
- LING:4040 The Structure of English — 3 s.h.
- LING:4050 Methods of Teaching English as a Second Language — 3 s.h.
One of these:
- LING:3030 Child Language: Linguistic Perspectives — 3 s.h.
- LING:3670 Language Processes — 3 s.h.
- LING:4010 Undergraduate Practicum in TESL— 3 s.h.
- LING:4090 Practical Phonetics — 3 s.h.